 |
| His official missionary photo |
Hyrum was set apart as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on Tue, June 9 by our stake president, Patrick Newman, and me. Pres. Newman met with Hyrum several times in the last few weeks as he prepared to receive the Melchizedek Priesthood and to receive his endowment in the temple. Even though I have been a temple worker in three different temples and taught a temple prep class, I felt deeply privileged to be there as Pres. Newman walked Hyrum through all that sacred day would include. In the last few months, Pres. Newman has had these multiple interviews with more than 16 young men and women starting their missions, to say nothing of the people coming off their missions as well. It's been very fulfilling to witness and assist.
 |
| Just before the setting apart |
Elder Watson started attending the Missionary Training Center from home for the next week+. It was a treat to still have him around, and to watch his growth in real time. I remember my feeling of growth during my two months in the MTC way back when - I wrote in my journal at the time that if this was all I received from my two years' sacrifice, it would have been worth it. Watching Hyrum grow and mature so quickly was amazing.
It also made letting go easier.
 |
He and his sis have matching shirts. He got this for her birthday that he would just barely miss. |
 |
| Departure at the airport |
Training videos via Zoom let us see how very much the MTC has changed in the last almost-30 years since I was there and 35 since Joy was there. Among many other differences are the murals.
The Provo temple is currently being renovated, so they bussed the missionaries to the City Centre or Timpanogos temples. Here is Elder Watson with his 'twinner' companion, Elder Johnson. They got along famously, which was a very good thing as they were assigned to the same district once they arrived in Pennsylvania!
Among the highlights of his brief time at the MTC was that Elder Bednar, a living apostle, walked into their classroom and did an impromptu Q&A session with them for a solid hour.
 |
| The Y and the U, brought together for the Lord's work |
I am particularly thankful that missionaries get to call home weekly now, instead of only at Christmas and Mother's Day. We all missed hearing from Elder Watson something fierce!
 |
Arriving in PA July 1, 2026 with his new mission president |
No comments:
Post a Comment