Sunday, January 21, 2018

Gift of tongues

Slightly more than a week ago I saw another friend posting about the Duolingo language learning app. I decided to check it out and was quickly hooked. I then spread the contagion to Joy and to Superstar.

I'm brushing up on my mission German, filling in the many holes in my Spanish, and starting Mandarin with Joy. Joy is brushing up on her mission Spanish, starting Mandarin with me, and has started poking around Dutch as well. Superstar is mostly working on Spanish, but he's also played with Italian and German a little.

Each of us has been diligent for an entire week so far. I can tell a real difference in my own comfort level. I've read the Book of Mormon twice in Spanish, but when it's time for me to actually say something and form a coherent sentence, it took several minutes of concerted thought. Now I can actually share some basic thoughts about my day with Joy and be understood.

So three cheers for Duolingo!

No comments:

Post a Comment