Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Spring Break Plans: Day 2

Over the last few months, Joy and I have been writing a vision of what we want our family to look like 20 years from now and deciding on things we need to focus on today so we can get there. Well, a week long spring break seems a great time to practice, right?

1. We want our family to learn together, so we voted on what we wanted to spend time learning together. It was a close vote that required several elimination rounds to get down to just woodworking and playing a National Geographic Wii game to learn about other countries. After breakfast and reading scriptures, we have played their quiz game, so far studying North America and Africa. A success! (so far)

2. We want our family to work together, so Joy and I decided it was time to repair the cracks in our driveway, pick up all the scattered sticks in our lawn, mow the lawn, and possibly get some other outdoor projects done, like weeding the rose bed. I confess, I jokingly thought to myself "Okay, but what will we get done on Tuesday after we finish with that?" On Day 1, Joy and I cleaned out a few cracks with a hose and a pair of rose bush clippers, then poured in the wrong stuff. So on Day 2 we borrowed a high pressure water pump so I could undo the work we did on Day 1 and clean out more of the cracks. Hopefully we can actually fill in some of those cracks tomorrow. WHAT A LONG PROJECT! Two days in and we've got 2/3 of it prepared....
I decided to wash a little note in our driveway


3. We want our family to reach out to others, so we planned a very social week. We had a new family in town over for dinner last night and the missionaries over for dinner tonight. I tried brining a turkey with great success. Tomorrow we're going to drive around town trying to find a few people we haven't seen at church in a while to offer a friendly word. Thur and Fri Joy will drive to Dallas for a homeschooling conference so she can hear from her mentor, Nicholeen Peck. Then Fri-Sun we'll spend with our good friends. A success! (so far)

4. We want our family to have lots of fun, so we planned to have at least two "family fun" turns. Yesterday we got in 1.5 and today 2 more, so we're close.

I ask Superstar if he is enjoying his spring break. He jumps up and says "YES!"
I ask Princess, and she says, "Oh, yeah!"
I ask JT if he is, and he says, "Yeah."
One of my favorite moments so far has been getting 11 hours of sleep last night.
Joy is glad I'm taking the week off to spend time with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment