Sunday, July 22, 2012

The part of "no" she doesn't understand

Since coming to the States, our little Princess Peanut has really learned some new words, with more coming almost daily. Her favorite was and still is "Dad-DEE!" She chants it as she wanders the house looking for me. Joy adds, "And sometimes starts to scream it, especially if you don't give her your attention. She'll be looking the other direction and start yelling dadDEE! dadDEE!"  Her second favorite is "Down." Down serves both for when it's time to get down off my shoulders and when she wants to get down out of her chair or car seat. Two days ago she added "Go" to her list of commands, usually accompanying a pointing finger to show me where she wishes to be carried.

She asks for specific foods when it's time to "eee" (eat), like "cracker" which sometimes sounds like "cookie". "Grr" is for grapes and "egg" needs no translation. The hardest one to crack was her word for a drink, which is "ook" (rhymes with took, book, crook, look, etc.) It took a lot of pondering before we realized the reason she calls it "ook" is because of the sound she makes when she drinks: ookookookook. A much more faithful bit of onomatopoeia than "glug glug".  Joy adds, "I think it's because of me. You know how I drink water when I'm really downing it, which I usually do before I nurse her. I think it's my fault."

There is one word, however, that most children pick up very quickly but has given her nothing but confusion:



No!


Before she started walking, we had very few occasions to use this magic word on her. Just before coming here, though, we started a brief campaign to teach our children to not pick their noses. We practiced with her, putting her/my finger up her/my nose and saying "No!" then putting the finger next to her nose and saying "yes."



Well, that messed her up. Now almost whenever we tell her No, she puts her finger aside or inside her nose. It's very cute and it does have the bonus of stopping her little hands from whatever else they were doing. Someday I do hope she learns the proper usage, as we urgently need her to figure out that all computers and their cords are off-limits. 


So I know the answer to the question, "What part of No do you not understand?"

No comments:

Post a Comment