Sunday, September 8, 2013

Confession: Sundays are longer than I remember

Do you remember the Twilight Zone episode where the guy wanted nothing but to read without being bothered by humanity, and when he wakes up to find himself completely alone he goes off to read in the library only to **O Henry Spoiler Alert** break his glasses so he can't read? Sundays have become a little like that, only without O Henry.

I never really felt like I got as much time to study the scriptures and ponder on Sundays as I wanted. It's not that I wanted to ignore my kids and wife. I wanted to spend gobs of time with them too. I just couldn't do everything I wanted to do.

Well, I don't have that problem anymore. I can study the gospel, hold church, watch a general conference session, do family history extraction or help in the vineyard, blog and write in my journal, practice piano, prepare food, "and by then it's, like, 7:15." Saturdays are a lot easier because there's even more that needs to get done and I have the comfort of knowing I won't be able to do a lot of it on Sunday.

Joy was visiting her sister last Sunday and we didn't have a schedule for when we would talk. Not knowing when or IF I would finally get the chance to see my family was really hard. I was happily surprised when we did get to chat. It was much-needed manna to my soul.

I love every moment I get to spend talking with them. I've learned I tell time by how many hours it is until I can see them again.

My hope is that I will use this time to get really stuffed full of time to myself on Sundays and rejoice for every minute I get with Joy and the kids when we're back together again.

No comments:

Post a Comment