Thursday, June 14, 2018

Welcome to Nigeria. Have a nice day. 2

Last year the electricity went out on campus. There was no announcement of classes being canceled, and if I had taught evening classes powerless in Nigeria I could certainly manage here in Texas. So I had started my lecture when we all got text messages canceling all classes. Sad.

The power going out is the #1 thing that reminds me of Nigeria. Any time there is a short power outage or fluctuation, Joy and I turn to each other and say, "Welcome to Nigeria. Have a nice day."

Well, turns out that isn't the only thing that gives us flashbacks. Tuesday the house's central air died. I noticed it was getting a little warm, but thought it was just me. By dinner it felt much hotter, so I checked the thermostat. Why was the house at 80 (normally 75) when the AC was clearly running non-stop? I cleaned the air filter, gave the machine a rest, checked the outside to make sure the unit was weed-free... nope. Nothing helped. We slept in 82 degrees.

Yesterday the AC guy came over and found out our outdoor unit had fried completely. It'll have to be replaced, or maybe the entire system. That's gonna be a pretty penny! The house crept up to 85. We were on to feed the missionaries and I really didn't feel like cooking the spaghetti squash or the bacon-wrapped chicken in the oven. So we spent an air conditioned hour at a pizza place.

I have no place to complain, really, since Joy is working with the cub scouts all week (afternoons and evenings) outside in the 96 degrees and humid. As we lay in bed last night, we talked about Nigeria and how the AC only sometimes worked to get the house down to the 80s, sleeping with two fans on us (one overhead and another pointed at us).

With most of the windows open and fans on during the night, we got it back down to 81. I was really rather hoping to get it down to the 70s since the low was 71ish last night. It's climbing up relentlessly again. Hopefully the AC people will have some options they can put in place before by parents come to visit next week.

Meanwhile, Princess is loving it. She wears warm pajamas, a hat, socks, and at least 3 blankets every night and complains the house is just freezing cold. Last night she was happy and comfortable for the first time in forever. Glad someone is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment