Sunday, July 29, 2018

Games new and old, and the pain they cause

Joy has a new etymological theory: "John-Thomas was just trying to put on his socks and said, 'I'm not a very good socker.' I think that's where they got the name Soccer from! From those very long socks they wear!"

------

I challenged Superstar to make some of our games for smaller children more interesting: combine 2 or more into a new game. His first attempt was interesting. We're debating still on the exact name. Maybe "My Great Uncle Yahtzmuti". At any rate, it's a combination of The Great Dalmuti, Yahtzee, and Uncle Wiggly.

1 - Play a trick of Dalmuti.
2 - Whoever takes the trick gets to take a turn at Yahtzee.
3 - If they score >0 in Yahtzee, then they get to move their Uncle Wiggly piece a number of spaces indicated by their Yahtzee roll. No matter what or how they score in Yahtzee, the Great Dalmuti adds up all 5 dice, the Lesser Dalmuti 4 dice, merchants and the lesser peon 3, and the greater peon 2. (So if you got a full Yahtzee and scored 50 based on a roll of five ones, the greater peon would still move only 2 spaces.) Note: You get to choose which dice (as long as you aren't the Great Dalmuti) so you can often avoid landing on bad spaces by taking a larger or smaller die roll.
Repeat until you decide you are done.

If your Uncle Wiggly makes it to the doctor before the game is finished, any extra steps he takes are added to your Yahtzee score. When someone gets to the doctor, the game is over. Add your Wiggley spaces to your Yahtzee score, and whoever has the highest total wins.

--------

Pioneer Day singing
At the ward Pioneer Day party there was a slip and slide activity. Most of the kids were lined up for it, and I stood watching and longing. It's been a Long time since I got to do that. As I thought about it, I felt very sure that if I did it, I was going to get hurt, probably land on and bruise my ribs somehow.

(Pssst, Derrill! That's a sign you are OLD!) 
Thanks, I know.

I decided to do it anyway. I ran, jumped, and slid delightedly all the way to the end. The hot day was not nearly so unbearable anymore, I got some amused looks from the more adult adults, and my prophecy was 100% confirmed. I bruised a rib on my right side and have been getting twinges of pain since. Every time it flares up because I'm stretching too far, I try to think about how fun that dive and slide was and enjoy it all over again.

I'm not dead yet.

PS for my mother - I needed a chest x-ray for some reason before my ankle surgery, so that happened the next morning, and because of that I know I didn't crack the rib. I'm okay. No worries.

At that same activity, some of the youth and kids lay in wait to soak the bishop. He took a while coming out, though, so they used up most of their water on each other first. Despite that, here is a short video of his reception:

No comments:

Post a Comment