Sunday, July 29, 2018

More traveling (and hospitalizations) than expected

As summer approached, we asked Superstar what he wanted to do this summer. His answer was firm and clear: NOT go ANYwhere. Let's stay at home this summer and just read and play.

Sorry, kid.

This post is a rehash of the trips we've taken and some of the health problems this summer plus some gratuitous pictures of the kids because we always need more of them.

End of May/early June I went to Atlanta for a conference.

I was still on my way back when we learned Joy's mother had a stroke (she hadn't, but that was the report we got) and was unresponsive, so she left the kids with a friend and started driving to UT. My dad called and used some flyer miles to get her a flight instead, which saved a good deal of time and trouble. I got back and watched the kids for a week while she nursed her mother back to health. Turns out it wasn't a stroke and she was soon mended.

Superstar the Archer, who has 2
healthy arms again and knows
how to use them!
The next week was Scout Camp, with Joy and Superstar enjoying 96 degrees and high humidity all day. That was the week the central air broke and we had to have it replaced.

The next week we all stayed home and let my parents come visit us (Yay, grandparents!) after my brother graduated with his PhD in Hispanic Languages and Literature. Yay, Steve! They got to stay for Princess' birthday. Yay, Princess! And I totally need to blog about that.

As soon as they left, I drove JT up to Cook's child hospital. He has been gagging most every day for years and the docs can't figure out what's wrong. So we had a probe inserted through his nose to measure the ph in his stomach. It had to stay in for 24 hours. He had really been looking forward to his "noodle nose", but didn't like it nearly as much once he had it. Turns out his (very mild) food allergies might be harming something in his intestines. He is now on a dairy-free diet to see if it's a milk allergy, but so far nothing has changed. We'll be trying dairy-free for 2 months and then see about removing something else from his diet.

A few days later we left on our two week drive to CO, UT, WA, and CA, which I do promise will get a blog or three sometime. While we were gone, four of us came down with a bad stomach flu - we suspect we had two different stomach viruses because some us ******************* while the others had **********. I did both. Lost 5 pounds, though, and I've kept them off, so that was nice. Horrible pain. We gave it to my parents. :(  Sorry, Pop and Grandma!

She asked me to please help
her look as sad as possible
I got a happier shot
once she had her pink cast
The next week we were with our friends in Louisiana, where Princess broke her arm. :(  She was jumping on the furniture upstairs (we adults were all downstairs) and fell on her arm. Some of her first coherent words were, "Now I understand why you keep telling me not to jump on the furniture." Yyyyyup. She has a pretty pink cast now.

And no sooner have we returned, but we learn that Joy's mother is in a real bad way and has been sent to the hospital twice in one week. We now realize this is not just a one-off, but a longer-term issue. So Joy grabbed the two younger kids and drove to UT to spend some time with her mom and plan with her brothers and sister what they will do for her long term. She may be up there a week; it may be a month or more.

Superstar the Beach Boy
Superstar and I are chillin' at home while I finish preparing my tenure packet, try to get a research paper out before school starts, and prepare for teaching seminary and an overload (one class more than I usually get assigned). The plan is that, at latest, Joy will come back with the kids around the start of school/my birthday and then drop of Princess with me while she and JT return to UT again if things haven't been resolved yet.

So, sorry, Superstar, but it looks like we had some traveling happening every single week this summer. And this week? This week I'm getting a minor surgery for my ankle. That should keep the two of us home at least!
Our family photo the morning Joy left, 5:30am

No comments:

Post a Comment