Sunday, March 4, 2012

Addis Ababa 1: Churches


I like churches. Here are a few of the churches I happened across during my 5 hour walking tour of Addis Ababa, Ethiopia a week and a half ago.
.
Sadly, the mausoleum was closed because they started their Lent fasting that week. Adults fast from 8am to 4pm daily until Easter. Youth fast from 8am to 1pm. Wiki tells me they fast 250 days a year, including 56 for Lent, 40 for Pentecost, and 40 before Christmas.





The largest part of the population is Ethiopian Orthodox (45%), and so are the churches. Another third are Islamic, but I didn't spy many mosques where I was.





This one isn't a church. It's a priest's palatial home. Sorry for the crooked angle - my guide told me there was a pickpocket coming up behind me.








The tomb of Menelik II. This will get its own post.




Drive-by camera work. Wonderful sunrise.





Right next to the airport: the FBI Church!

No comments:

Post a Comment