Sunday, January 27, 2013

A stressful day

I must have had a very stressful day, assuming dreams are anything to go by:

It all started off when I woke up in the hospital. I had been shot in my back, the bullet puncturing one of my lumbar vertebrae discs. The nurse told me the doctors weren't sure if I would walk again, so could I please try?

Thankfully, I could. My back hurt some, but a lot less than I expected. I wandered the hospital with a 104 degree fever while looking for something, but I couldn't remember what. They told me it was not a good time to travel, but I had to go back to Nigeria right away. The semester had already started and if I didn't get back, they would take away all my classes and force me to teach things I don't know anything about.

I finally made it out of the hospital and got into the car so we could drive to the airport. We had not been driving long when we got into an accident - the other driver's fault. I looked back at my parents' car: half of it was a little crumpled, but on the other half only the chicken wire frame that held it together was still there. The rest had been peeled off and lay on the side of the road.

What a miracle no one was hurt! The children got out of their seats and went wandering. I have a feeling that Prince said he didn't want to be in the Church anymore, but I don't remember hearing him say that. I looked for Joy to help me keep the kids together as the other driver came up to apologize, but I couldn't find her anywhere.

The other driver turned out to be a friend from Ithaca, who reminded me I needed to sell our trailer and move our stuff from Ithaca to Goleta before we left for Nigeria. But there was no time left. Then he asked how my job market went, and I realized I had forgotten to go on the job market this year!

And that was just the start of the dream. It got worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment